Colombo Camporee is one of the most anticipated events in the Colombo District Scout Year Calendar. This is an annual fixture where more than 2000 scouts from around 40 scout troops camp at the Vihara Maha Devi Park & engage in different camp activities such as the Opening Ceremony, Closing Ceremony, Skill-o-rama (Activity Award), Talent Show, Arena Display, Sports Tournaments, Wide Games & many more. The first Camporee was organized by Captain Vernon W. Halpe (a teacher at Royal Primary School at that time) and Mr. Ali Ossen, at the Royal Primary Grounds from 5th to 7th August 1949, with just a few hundred Scouts. Since then the Camporee has grown by leaps & bounds & has become a unique tradition of Colombo Scouting.
This year the 49th Colombo Camporee will be organized under the theme “Passion for the environment” and will be held from 23rd to 27th August 2012 at the Vihara Maha Devi Park, Colombo. The following are the basic information on the main camp activities organized by the district authorities,
- Opening Ceremony – on 24th August 2012, from 4.30 pm till 5.45 pm at the Vihara Maha Devi Open Air Theater.
- Skill-0- Rama (Activity Award) – on 25th & 26th August 2012, throughout the day.
- Cub Scout Program – on 26th August 2012, from 8.30 am on-wards.
- Youth Day – on 26th August 2012, from 7.00 am till 12.30 pm.
- Talent Show – on 26th August 2012, from 7.00 pm onwards at the Vihara Maha Devi Open Air Theater.
- Closing Ceremony – on the eve of 26th August 2012 at the Vihara Maha Devi Open Air Theater.
- Await the details of the Camp Fire/ Arena Display/ Bicycle Race/Road Race/Religious Ceremonies/Scouts Own/Foot Ball Tournament/Wide Game & Fox Hunt.
* Camp visiting hours for the parents & old scouts of the Gold Troop will be from 10.00 am till 8.00 pm.
The Instructors are in the process of organizing the Camporee on the part of the Gold Troop. As usual an interesting & an enjoyable camp program will be drafted for the Royal Scouts, including the traditional Wide Game, Variety Show and many more games & activities. So make sure that you are part of the FUN!!!