Colombo Camporee is one of the most anticipated events in the Colombo District Scout Year Calendar. This is an annual fixture where more than 2000 scouts from around 40 scout troops camp at the Vihara Maha Devi Park & engage in different camp activities such as the Opening Ceremony, Closing Ceremony, Skill-o-rama (Activity Award), Talent Show, Arena Display, Sports Tournaments, Wide Games & many more. The first Camporee was organized by Captain Vernon W. Halpe (a teacher at Royal Primary School at that time) and Mr. Ali Ossen, at the Royal Primary Grounds from 5th to 7th August 1949, with just a few hundred Scouts. Since then the Camporee has grown by leaps & bounds & has become a unique tradition of Colombo Scouting.
This year the 49th Colombo Camporee will be organized under the theme “Passion for the environment” and will be held from 23rd to 27th August 2012 at the Vihara Maha Devi Park, Colombo. The following are the basic information on the main camp activities organized by the district authorities,
- Scouts sharpen their first aid skills
- A busy & a successful weekend for the Gold Troop!
- Awurudu Uthsawaya 2012
- Happy Sinhala & Tamil New Year!!!
- Scouts visit the Sri Lanka Air Force Museum
- The Scouts Centenary Walk
- February 22nd, a day to remember!
- Patrol Leaders’ and Instructors’ Training Camp 2012
- All set for the final camp of the year – The Annual Camp